Thinking about deleting Facebook, have managed to do it with Snapchat so far, however I would like to keep Instagram for now.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Have any of you guys had any luck with quitting social media? Have you seen any benefits?

16 comments,1 shares,14 likes
PearlwhiteRaven
about 1 year

oh, I deleted FB years ago because it started to control my life...first thing after waking up?FB.after I got home?FB.oh no someone unfollowed me,oh no a drama what did I do?I was getting mentally sick back then because of that, so I decided to quit. I never missed it, so in hinsight I didn't need it.my friends still called me or sent normal messages if they wanted to see me or just talk,so I learned to take breaks from social media in general since then (like, a week off of socials here and there and just using the phone for calls or important messages), to detox and I feel better and more myself since then ^^

Brody Page
about 1 year

Update: have deleted Facebook and Reddit, probably already saving an hour a day of wasted time!

faith
about 1 year

I’m in IG and DFO the most but I do have some pages and relatives on FB so I keep it just for that reason.

Verdant Warden
about 1 year

The only social media I have is DFO and Instagram and Instagram is becoming progressively more infuriating. I deleted Facebook a few weeks ago and it's been great so far!

I have Messenger to video chat with my little brother and his family in Australia as well as to be kept up to date with activity in the Reenactment group I am a part of, but that's about all I use it for. If you're thinking of deleting Facebook I say go for it. People will know how to reach you beyond it :D

shaneknotshaun
about 1 year

I've cut my time down on Facebook only use it to look at memories and old photos at the moment and to keep in touch with family so keeping it for now, Instagram I use for all my interests in Norse mythology, fittnness, woodworking and to connect with other TBI survivor's so keeping that for now but still trying to limit my time on it.

neka.sherratt
about 1 year

Left TikTok earlier this year. Instantly more relaxed.
My Facebook is still active but I don't use it. I'll jump on occasionally and get angry within 5 minutes. It's so unhealthy. It's so negative and I can't stand watching the way people debate. I'm all for healthy debate on any subject but people are writing posts to get a rise out of others and comments descend into name calling, ignorance, arrogance and anger within a few comments. People are losing the ability to think for themselves or formulate their own opinion or to understand there are different points of view on all subjects. It's also full of memes with zero fact checking going on but said as fact. And it's so fake! So many of my 'friends' seem to have turned so fake on there as well as desperate for attention. It's making me lose respect for people. Then there's the constant advertising. I did try to siphon off people I know but am not friends with, including a guy from my old job. Literally within two hours I got a text from him demanding to know why I deleted him. I haven't seen or spoken to him in 3 years. It causes people to need this weird validation based on likes and followers. It's bizarre. I'm happier not using it but I know I'm not free of it until I delete the thing and for some unknown reason I'm struggling to do that.
Insta is better (for now). I'm just putting up random photos for positivity on my personal accounts and environmental work on my environmental account. It's a lot easier to control.

Brody Page
about 1 year

@Tarran also realised I have posted this in Wanderers, I did read your post the other day. My bad 🤦‍♂️

FiresideRich
about 1 year

Deleted Facebook a couple of years ago and Twitter this week. Insta is still OK but they recently submitted a patent for people to pay to share links - which will be the death of Instagram if it goes ahead. Only drug dealers and social media companies call their customers "users" 😐

Gemini
about 1 year

oh, and I feel much better when I dont use facebook.

Gemini
about 1 year

i still have my facebook account but i don't use it that often. Sometimes I look around fb, to see updates from family etc. But I get annoyed by all the fake stuff very quickly and people have to balance how they connect with other people online / in real life. The overload of advertisements is also insane. I like Instagram more because I follow some specific people and interests such as history and art. And I also love how some people use Instagram as a tool to make (wise) statements and educate each other. Now with the DFO app I see more of what I like 🖤 although I didn't feel like posting anything myself, I dont know 😂

Stokesy
about 1 year

Never joined Facebook, never will. I joined twitter as it was a good place once but now that's getting just as toxic as what FB seemed to be, so I rarely use it.
I have insta but literally just follow a few friends and mainly follow my interests so it's an OK place still atm.

Delete FB man.

Raven
about 1 year

So. I quitted Snapchat ages ago. And I’m so happy about it! I‘m not active on Facebook, it’s just easier for the communication with my family in England and Australia. - so the only Social Media I‘m really using is Instagram and DFO!

tracyloeppky
about 1 year

Left Facebook a while back. Only use it and Instagram for business. So much more peace of mind.

Sharonda
about 1 year

I don't have Snapchat and I don't spend that much time on Facebook. I wouldn't get rid of it because it's a way to keep in touch with friends once every blue moon and get a quick update but I limit my time on there. Instagram...meh. For yoga inspiration... Lol. Just joined DFO and I love it so far!

adoll
about 1 year

Left Facebook and Snapchat for several months now. Still have Instagram. Facebook was easier to leave because it was so negative and draining.. Instagram is easier for me to have cause it’s more of what people want to post and not just random shares of things.. although it’s getting worse now that Facebook has taken over.. I will be getting rid of Instagram here soon.

It’s been amazing not being on Facebook though... Less draining.. spend more time off my phone. One thing though is I don’t feel as connected with people.. which is sad but you start to realize who your true friends are.

Sal Sierro
about 1 year

Quitting social media changed my life. Been free for about 6 months. So much more productive, and most of all, present. I only come on here every few days.