Hello! I'm very new to the DFO community, and I consider myself as something of an outsider looking in. As my first post I thought I'd introduce myself - this might be a bit long winded but there is some semblance of a point somewhere.

I've held a fascination with Norse paganism, mythology and history for longer than I should rightly admit. I'm a fiction writer, mainly fantasy, and my goal is to eventually become a proper author. One of the things I try to do is write my characters as believable people, and part of my process is speaking to people who have insight into religions or spirituality that I otherwise don't regularly have access to. As that way I can gain more of an authentic understanding of what spirituality means to the people involved rather than simply reading an article, or just making it up myself.

My initial impression is that the Norse Pagan community emits a warmth that I've not really seen before in my experience growing up in a Roman Catholic household and moving around England a lot. There is a natural warmth and welcoming feeling, which is wonderful to see! You all seem like wonderful, genuine people that are proud of their connection with the Gods and each other - which I respect immensely!

So what I hope to do here is experience this path with all of you, and learn more about Norse Paganism from those who are more experienced in it. I hope to not simply ask questions, but also experience and witness these journeys not merely to better my ability to put it into writing, but also to better my understanding of others. As that is something I love doing, understanding other perspectives and meeting interesting people.

I wish to become part of this community, and approach Norse paganism and it's followers with an open mind and keen interest in learning more from the people who live it daily. I'm excited to begin the journey!

10 comments,1 shares,11 likes
gingenextdoor
2 months

@Son of Heimdall thank you!

gingenextdoor
2 months

@Swamp Pastor thank you!

gingenextdoor
2 months

@Mox not a bad suggestion yeah, I'll certainly take that on board and see what can be done with it!

Swamp Pastor
2 months

Welcome to the community!

Mox
2 months

Honestly if your goal is to write I would do the same as people did in history. If you really want to experience something you have to do it. So I would recommend looking up groups in your country, area first and foremost and tell them your goal and just ask them if you may experience the culture. You might be able to get more done tho if you offer them something nice in return as well since they might put alot of energy into helping you.

Son of Heimdall
2 months

Welcome to the community

mfah
2 months

Also new here , and I also agree with everything you said .

Let the journey begin!

gingenextdoor
2 months

@vikingwarbear glad to see I'm not alone entirely in my pursuits, the community indeed seems incredibly welcoming!

gingenextdoor
2 months

@Julieann thank you for the warm welcome, it is truly appreciated!

Julieann
2 months

A very warm welcome to our community 😊 And that's exactly what we are - a community built to support each other, discuss with each other, and to learn from each other. And, @vikingwarbear , no question asked in sincerity to grow and improve your knowledge is ever dumb 😉